Thursday, October 15, 2009

Yummy Supper Side and Dessert

Tonight I tried out another new recipe for supper and it was a hit. I LOVE onion rings but have never made them at home because it just seems to messy. I hate frying things due the mess and smell so when I stumbled on a recipe for Baked Onion Rings I thought, "Why not?" We had them tonight for supper and I will be making these again. I do have to admit that prior to the baking process, they sure didn't look like they were going to be any good.

Baked Onion Rings
1 1/2 c. cornflakes
1/2 c. dried breadcrumbs, plain
1 egg
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. flour
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
1 medium Vidalia onion, quartered crosswise, broken into rings
(discard small center rings)
2 T. olive oil
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Run cornflakes and bread crumbs through food processor and put in pie plate. Whisk together egg, buttermilk, flour, cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Drop onion rings in egg mixture. Dredge in crumb mixture. Place on large plate. Pour oil on rimmed baking sheet. Place sheet in oven for 2 min. Remove and tilt so oil coats sheet evenly. Arrange onion rings on sheet. Bake, turning once for 16 min. Season with salt.

I don't have a food processor, so I ground the cornflakes in my mini-food chopper and mixed them with the bread crumbs. This seemed to work fine. I also didn't have any buttermilk, but made my own by putting 1 T. vinegar in my glass measuring cup then adding enough milk to make 1 cup of liquid. Mix this together and let sit for a 5 minutes so it thickens.

I also made an onion ring sauce to go along with the onion rings. Yum!

Onion Ring Sauce
1/2 c. mayo
1 1/2 t. ketchup
1 1/2 t. horseradish
1/2 t. sugar
1/2 t. lemon juice
1/4 t. ground cayenne pepper
Combine all of the ingredients. Chill at least one hour before serving.

And for dessert our favorite Blueberry Pie recipe. A friend of mine from church made this for us after we had our first daughter and we were in Blueberry Heaven. I had forgotten about it until another friend from church made the same pie for us this summer when we were in the midst of packing boxes before our move. I finally got around to getting the recipe. We have been enjoying this recipe as I am trying to use up our frozen blueberries.

Pie Crust
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. oil
1 t. salt
2 T. sugar
2 T. milk
Mix together all ingredients with pastry blender. Pat into pie plate. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.

Blueberry Filling
Bring 1 c. blueberries and 1/2 c. water to boil on stove top. Simmer for 2 min.
Mix 3/4 c. sugar and 2 T. cornstarch together. Stir into blueberry mixture. Stir until thick and bring to boil for a few minutes. Remove from heat and add 2 T. lemon juice. Let cool.
Add 3 c. fresh blueberries. Pour into pie crust. Chill in fridge.

This is MUCH better with fresh berries, but it's yummy with frozen also!

1 comment:

Colleen said...

I've had a hard time finding a good blueberry pie recipe. They always seem to turn out too sour. This one sounds really yummy! Going to give that a try.