Sunday, December 13, 2009

Creamy Turkey and Wild Rice Soup (My Variation)

Have you been to the Farm Chicks site? Love it!!! It is adorable and oh so vintage. Serena is just the cutest thing ever and so creative. They have a cookbook out, The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen and my wonderful public library happened to get it and I had it put on hold immediately. It is so fun and has some great recipes. I made the Creamy Turkey and Wild Rice Soup this past week for my family but I had no turkey so I guess I made Creamy Wild Rice Soup. It was delicious and will be made again I am sure for the family.

Creamy Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
5 T. butter
1/3 c. diced celery
1/2 c. diced carrots
1 small onion, chopped
4 c. chicken broth
1 c. water
3/4 c. wild rice
2 c. diced turkey, cooked
6 T. flour
1/4 t. poultry seasoning
1 1/4 c. half and half
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper

For the soup: Melt 1 T. butter in a large pot. Add celery, carrots and onion. (I also chopped up 3 cloves of garlic and added it because I really like garlic.) Sautee until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, water, rice and turkey. Bring to boil, lower heat. Cover and simmer for 40 min.

For the Cream Sauce: Melt 4 T. butter. Mix flour and poultry seasoning. Add to butter and whisk together for 1 minute. Stir in half and half until thick. Stir this sauce into the soup.

Stir in bacon, salt and pepper.

Like I said above I didn't have any turkey on hand and it was incredible without. I'm sure the turkey would make it even tastier, even chicken. Also next time I will probably just use milk instead of the half and half but that sure made it creamy yumminess!

Be sure to check out this cook book! It's one that would be a great addition to any recipe book collection!

No comments: