Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Curry

I am having a love affair with Indian food. There are a bunch of ethnic restaurants in our new community. The first one that I was taken to was the Indian place and I loved it. I didn't think I would but I did. I have no idea what most of it is but it is good!

So on Sunday I was going through my recipe box looking for recipes to plan my menu and found a recipe for Curry from a friend back home. We were in a small group with her and her husband and a few other people from the church we were attending at the time. They had invited us all over one evening for supper as they had guests in town from Australia. She made this recipe and it was so good. I had never had curry before so I asked for the recipe. I stashed it away in my box and never made it until now. Can you believe this? We are talking about 8-10 years of it just sitting in my box waiting to be used. Don't you feel sad for this little recipe? I have a dear, sweet friend who would have tossed it out after a week, ok maybe a few days of just sitting there not being used and especially if it wasn't on the cute recipe cards. (Love ya, Friend!)

I pulled the recipe out due to my new love affair with Indian cuisine and desire to learn to cook some of the dishes. I made it tonight and my family LOVED me. They got on their chairs and they chanted, "You rock our world! You rock our world!" Ok...maybe not...but they devoured it all except for one small bowl that I finally had to put aside so Hubby would have something to take for lunch tomorrow. I won't mention how many helpings Hubby had...4....oh wait...I guess I did mention it. I love that though. I love cooking from scratch and cooking something that they love. AND it was healthy and very cheap!

Curry
Sautee 2 T. oil, 2 onions, minced, and 1-2 cloves garlic, minced (I used 3. Love garlic! Thanks Rachael Ray!)
In a bowl mix 2 T. lemon juice (or vinegar) and 2-4 t. curry powder to make a paste. (I only used the 2 as I'm learning and wasn't sure what to expect. Will use more next time.)
Stir the paste into the onions and fry for 2 minutes.
Add 3 lbs. diced chicken. Stir fry briefly.
Add 1 c. tomato sauce, 1 t. salt, and 1-2 c. chicken broth or water. (I used 1 1/2 c. chicken broth and it seemed perfect.)
Simmer 1 hour. Add more liquid if needed.
Serve with hot, steamed rice.

Other options to serve with are:
pineapple
peanuts
coconut
raisins
bananas

I didn't do this but if we were having company I would. I remember those extra additions making it even more scrumptious. I think maybe next time I'll dice up some carrots and potatoes to add to the onion mixture as it is cooking...because there will be a next time!

Now on to figuring out naan!
Also I am a total newbie at Indian cuisine so if you are an expert, please, please do not tell me if I am totally off from real Indian fare. I'm learning. I'll get there...maybe.

No comments: