Saturday, February 6, 2010

Valentine Crafts

My daughter and I made some Valentine crafts this week. The first craft was "stained glass hearts." I thought I was sacrificing my box grater to the craft room as I grated bits and pieces of broken crayons. It did clean up just fine, though. Hoping my shredded cheese doesn't make me think of Crayola. Anyways...I grated the crayons then cut out wax paper hearts. Peanut sprinkled the grated crayon onto the shiny side of one heart. We then placed an exact sized heart on top. This was sitting on top of a piece of newspaper that was on top of a towel. I put another piece of newspaper on top of the heart, then covered that with a cotton dishtowel folded in half. I pressed this with an iron that was set to low to medium heat. After maybe 3 minutes our crayons had melted and we were left with a beautiful "stained glass heart" to hang on a window. Peanut had fun watching the transformation of the crayon pieces.
Valentine Crafts
Valentine Crafts Valentine Crafts
I also taught Peanut how to cut out hearts. I was beaming with proud at how well she did this. If you do not know the trick to cutting out hearts here is a link to a tutorial that I stumbled on the other night. I almost say that last sentence with a hint of sarcasm because I don't know anyone who does not know the "secret" and yet there is a tutorial. Ha! I think there is a tutorial for anything you can think of.
Valentine Crafts
Once our hearts were cut out, we made some Valentine creatures. We made a mouse using half of a heart, a fish, and a lion. You can make just about any animal out of hearts. Believe me, I know. I spent the last 9 years of my life making animals out of hearts for preschool.
Valentine Craft

Valentine Crafts

Valentine Craft
Get out your paper, cut some hearts, and make some crafts!

No comments: