Sunday, February 7, 2010

Oscar the Grouch Smoothies

I have quite a few recipes and ideas to share with you this evening. I am writing them in 3 separate posts so as not to overwhelm you. I am just having so much fun blogging here again. All day long I find myself thinking, "I need to blog that." I even started a little list (sound familiar Back Door?) to keep my ideas on so I don't forget because I am a mom and I FORGET!

Having moved to a new area last August and not knowing a soul here, I jumped into two Mom's groups. One is at the church that we have been attending. The other one I found on Facebook. Isn't that crazy? Is anyone else out there a little creeped out by the ads that run along the side of your Facebook page? I mean Facebook KNOWS me. It knows what I like and dislike. It knows just what to pop up to tempt me. My hubby has explained the whole engineering of those ads over and over to me...but it's a bit "Big Brother" to me if you know what I mean.

Anyways....I found second Mom's group on Facebook. It was a blessing. I got in contact with the group who had always been a MOPS group but was going out on their own for the first time. I jumped on board with them. I am so thankful for these two groups. I am finding some kindred spirits (love that Anne of Green Gables) and sweet times of fellowship.

At one meeting the topic was "Crunchy Moms." What is a Crunchy Mom, you ask? I had to ask, too. Crunchy mom is a phrase that refers to a hippie-ish, granola loving mom. Ha! Google it! At the meeting we heard about cloth diapering, cleaning with non-toxic cleaners, and healthy snacks. It was very informative and I got some great ideas. One I would like to share with you and I beg of you to try it. I am pretty sure if I read it on some woman's blog and saw the picture, I would be like, "Ummmm...yeah. I don't think so." But I have tasted and it is YUMMY! I was very skeptical when they passed around a sample of what I am sharing, but my mind was changed in one sip.
Yummy Smoothie
Oscar the Grouch Smoothies
Pour 1/2 - 1 c. of orange juice into your blender. Fill the rest of the blender with KALE (Yes, that stuff that the restaurants decorate their plates with. I am not crazy...really!) You'll want to tear the leaves off the thick stem part. Blend the juice and kale for a few minutes until all of the kale is broken down. Add one banana and blend. I also added vanilla yogurt but you do not need to do that. There you go. Tell your kids it is an Oscar the Grouch smoothie and let them dig in. This is an incredible way to get those greens into a child's diet and a Mommy's. I LOVE THESE. I am actually craving one right now.

Even the baby liked it. See that green moustache?
Yummy Smoothie
BTW...I bought one big bag of Kale for $3.76 at Wal-Mart today. It is washed and ready to go. Love that! There is so much you could do with this too. Add frozen fruit, add flavored yogurt, use spinach instead of kale...limitless, I tell you, limitless!

I dare you, double dog dare you to try it.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

We just started having fruit smoothies for breakfast. Both Davids love them, and I can get them to eat fruit they don't otherwise. I'll have to try this one. But I won't tell them it has kale in it.