Sunday, September 27, 2009

Fall Treat

This evening we had an easy supper. We were all rather full from eating out with friends after church today. Some sweet dear friends from home were down for a music festival here in town and to visit their daughter who is also at the university. They always make a point to see us and took us out for lunch. The last time they were here they took the girls and I to a really delectable Indian restaurant. Today they treated us to Turkish food. My only ethnic cuisine up to this point in my life was pretty much Mexican and Chinese food. I was a bit unsure about trying these new foods, but was genuinely surprised both times. After our Indian excursion, I even drug Hubby to the restaurant the following Sunday because I was craving it something bad!

So back to my original thought...this evening we were not all that hungry and I was not ready to make a big meal, so I pulled out a pumpkin pancake recipe that had been nicely filed away in my recipe box and tried it. YUM! These pancakes are super moist and so wonderful. I will definitely be making these again during the fall season. A perfect meal to make for fall!

Pumpkin Pancakes
1 c. flour
Pinch baking soda
2 T. sugar
1/4 t. sinnamon
1/8 t. ginger
1/8 t. nutmeg
1 egg well beaten
1 1/4 c. milk
2 T. melted shortening
1/2 c. canned pumpkin or mashed sweet potato, cooked
Combine flour, soda, sugar, and spices. Combine egg, shortening, pumpkin and milk, then add to flour mixture, beating until smooth. Bake on hot, lightly greased griddle, turning only once. Serve hot with butter and syrup or powdered sugar.

I didn't have any ginger, so I used 1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice in place of the cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. I also added a bit more flour as the batter seemed a bit runny.

Hope you can make a batch of these this season!

No comments: