Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Wet Burritos

We love Hispanic food! Our favorite places to eat are usually the Hispanic restaurants in town, although I really have enjoyed eating at the Indian places too! Our new town is blessed by many ethnic restaurants which has been fun to explore.

Tonight I tried a recipe that a friend had given me a few years ago. I had tucked it in my recipe box and forgotten about it. This week when I sat down to make our menu and my grocery list I found it and decided to try it. It was an easy recipe and turned out really yummy. Please see below recipe for a clarification on recipe!

Wet Burritos
1 1/2 lb. ground chuck - cook with 1/2 chopped onion and drain
1 1/2 pkgs taco seasoning - mix in recommended amount of water from pkg.
16 oz. can of refried beans - mix into meat mixture

16 large flour tortillas
8 slices of American cheddar cheese (cut each one in 1/2)

Fill each tortilla with 3 T. filling and top with 1/2 slice of cheese. Roll up tightly, making sure edges are sealed. Put in lightly greased 9x13" pan. (Each pan will hold 5.) Cover with sauce.

Sauce:
1 jar Homestyle brown gravy
16 oz. can diced tomatoes
10 oz. can mild enchilada sauce
Mix above ingredients together and pour over top of burritos in pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, covered. Add sliced green onions, sliced black olives, and shredded cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes.

I used 12 small wheat tortillas and only used one pan. It worked fine. I have been buying bakery made tortillas and my grocery store and really like them. On this last grocery trip I picked up a package for this recipe without really looking at the label. I made the recipe tonight and after we dug in I thought to myself, "Why do these have a sweet cinnamon taste? How did cinnamon get in here?" Then it hit me, I pulled the tortilla bag out of the trash and read the label. Sure enough, they were cinnamon and sugar wheat tortillas. Oops! Honestly it is just a hint of cinnamon so they won't be thrown out. Taught me to really read the labels!

No comments: