Friday, January 29, 2010

Warm Fuzzies

My hubby has to be out the door by 8:45 a.m. each morning to get to class on time. This means that he doesn't usually get a warm, hearty breakfast. I'm stumbling around trying to pack his lunch and supper for the day, feed the kids, and remember where I put my cup of coffee. I know, I know...it's not that early, but I stay up late so I can actually spend time with my hubby these days and have an early morning wake up call that comes in a super cute, little, chunky body.
SO.I. STUMBLE!

But this morning hubby's first class was canceled so I set about to make something yummy to give him an extra bounce in his step.

I like oatmeal ok but wouldn't pick it over regular cereal unless I'm pregnant and craving it. NOOOOO, I am not pregnant but I did crave it with my first pregnancy along with spinach and V-8! Anywho...many years ago at a conference I had baked oatmeal and it was so delicious. I found a recipe online and made that for hubby this morning. It was so easy, the ingredients are cheap and it was YUMMY. Win, Win, Win! It is trifecta!

Again this recipe came from All Recipes. I liked that it had dried cranberries. I would pick a dried cranberry over a raisin anyday. I love to add substitute cranberries for raisins in many of my baking recipes.

Baked Oatmeal
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup dried cranberries
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, mix together oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Beat in milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Stir in dried cranberries. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
We just put it in a bowl and poured milk over the top. I think that next time I may add some pecans.

To close have you ever stumbled upon the Cake Wrecks blog? I laughed my hiney off today. I do have to say that she can be a bit crude in her humor and language, so beware if you are faint of heart. The cakes, oh the cakes. They are priceless. It's like that People of Wal-Mart site. You don't want to look but you just can't help yourself. Cake Wrecks got me throught this long, hard day at home alone with two children, one of which was GRUMPY!

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Ha! That's the same recipe I found when I looked it up.

MJ said...

How funny that you posted a baked oatmeal recipe on the 29th and I posted one on the 30th! Great minds think alike! :)