Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Yumm-o

I do not watch Rachael Ray all that often but when I do I seem to learn something new. She has taught me the importance of using EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), how to make a basic roux, how to get that blasted papery skin off the garlic clove, and speaking of garlic, the utter importance of using fresh garlic and not something out of a can. She has also taught me the fun phrase, "Yumm-o!" I find lots of easy recipes on her website and found this one yesterday. I made if for supper but was had a nice surprise of being taken out for supper by my hubby's parents, so we ate the yummy meal today. Here is the recipe and it was super easy!

Broken Florentine Lasagna Bake
4 T. butter
4 T. flour
3 c. milk
Salt and pepper
Nutmeg, to taste
1 1/2 c. parmigiano reggiano cheese, grated and divided
2 T. EVOO
1 garlic clove, cracked
1 bunch green chard, stems removed and roughly chopped
2 lb. spinach, stems removed and roughly chopped
1 box no-boil lasagna

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Place a medium pot over medium heat and melt the butter. Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter and cook for about a minute. Slowly whisk the milk into the butter-flour mixture and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Let it thicken a couple of minutes then stir in about a cup of the Parmigiano. Set the sauce aside. (I didn't have nutmeg so I skipped that.)

Place a large, cast iron skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Toss in the cracked clove of garlic and cook for a minute or two to release its aroma and flavor. Add in the chard and wilt it down, about 2 minutes, then wilt in the spinach a few handfuls at a time. Season the greens with salt and pepper. (I couldn't find green chard so I used collards and they worked fine. Rachael says you can mix up the greens.)

Break the pasta sheets into large pieces. Toss them into the skillet and give them a good stir to incorporate them with the greens. Pour the sauce into the skillet, stirring again to evenly incorporate everything. Smooth the top down and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of Parmigiano Reggiano over top of the lasagna. (I don't have a large cast iron skillet, so I wilted the greens in a big frying pan, then mixed everything together in a 9x13 casserole dish.)

Cover the skillet with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil from the pan and let it finish uncovered for about 15 more minutes to brown the cheese.

No comments: