Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Book Recommendations

I just finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett last night. It was excellent. I actually picked it up from the library on Friday and couldn't put it down. It is a huge book so I was surprised how fast I got through it. Beware though if you read it, you just might never eat chocolate pie again, at least a pie someone else has made for you.

I wanted to share with you some other books that I have read over the years that have stuck with me and I would HIGHLY recommend to you. The only order they are in is the order they popped into my head.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

Someone Knows my Name by Lawrence Hill

The Shack by William P. Young
PHENOMENAL!!!! (I must add that if this is ever made into a movie, Queen Latifah must play Papa because she is who I pictured while I read it.)

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
This was a very quick read, but it really did move me. It was an emotional book.

The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls
(I have her next book on hold at the library, Broken Horses.)

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
This was one of the most powerful books that I have ever read. I had seen the movie first and was so incredibly moved by it that I made a bee line for the library to get the book.

Midwives by Chris Bohjalian

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

What are some of your favorite books? I am looking for a new one to read and need some recommendations.

2 comments:

MommieDaze said...

It's pretty rare that I even read a real book these days. I know that's sad. I've been reading the same 150 page book for almost two months now. I'm almost finished though. The Help sounds intriguing. Maybe being afraid of chocolate pie will help my diet. On Agate Hill was the last "real" book I read that I really liked. It's a civil war story set in the south. Lee Smith is the author.

Memaw Dog said...

My all-time favorite 3 books are Theodore Dreiser's "An American Tragedy", Thomas Hardy's "Jude the Obscure" and Sinclair Lewis's "Babbitt". Oh, oh,... Edith Wharton's novella, "Ethan Frome" too!