Saturday, April 17, 2010

THE Friend

It's time to share with you about someone whom I love to death. She is my best friend. She is just an amazing person yet I know when she reads this she is going to tell me I shouldn't have posted it. She doesn't think she is all that special but she is. She knows that there is only one real reason how she is able to continue on the remarkable journey that she is on. She will tell you straight up that it is not by her academic prowess (but she is STINKING smart), her discipline or anything of her. She is an amazing person but she knows she is making it through each day because she is doing exactly what she has been called to do by Jesus.

Friends
She is currently in the army and a pre-med student in her 2nd year of studies. I do not know how she does it all. When I am having a rough day, I remember my best friend and realize I can do this if she is doing what she is doing. On top of all of her crazy studies, she is an incredible mom. She adores the two beautiful kids that God has blessed her and her husband with.

How did I meet this Wonder Woman? Well, that is a funny story. It was 1997 and I had started seeing this guy that I met at college. He started telling me about his two best friends who were engaged to be married. She was having some medical problems at the time and he asked me to pray for her.

Welcome Home!
Now this guy (whom I currently have two beautiful little girls with) was, shall we say...edgy. He wasn't a preppy type in his style. He was more...maybe on the hippy side. So I being a conservative dresser was envisioning his two best friends in the whole world in my head and what I envisioned for her was a hippy. I imagined prairie dresses, hairy legs and arm pits...well you get the idea. I wasn't sure they would approve of their best friend's new gal and her collection of Amy Grant CDs.

As our meeting drew nearer, I knew what a big deal this was. They were his best friends and I was completely smitten with this guy and I wanted their blessing and I SHAVE MY LEGS! We were to meet on the weekend of their wedding. We headed to Ohio for the big weekend in which not only was I meeting the best friends, but the parents too. NO PRESSURE there!

The parent meeting was awesome. I adore my in-laws and it started right at the first meeting. They were so kind and welcoming so I was hoping for the same when meeting said friends.

We took off for the rehearsal dinner. We entered the banquet room. I scoped it out for this girl who I had perfectly pictured in my head. This guy with this infectious laugh and strong handshake introduced himself as "Future Hubby's" best friend. Then I was introduced to the sweetest girl who was clean shaven (heehee) and in a dress she probably had found at the mall.

From that moment we met a friendship formed and grew and over time we became best friends. I do NOT know what I would do without her friendship today. I can't even begin to count the tears we have cried together and the laughs we have had. When she hurts, I hurt and I know that is vice versa too. I love her kiddos to the moon and back as she loves mine. I feel like I have gained so much from her and given so little in return. I will never forget the moment she met my firstborn for the first time. She cried like she was seeing her own baby. It was one of the sweetest moments. She is an honorary auntie to my kids as I am to hers.

Due to our move this last fall and her very stressful school schedule, we no longer get to see each other much BUT it does make me cherish our times together even more. We may run up the minutes on our cell phones but we can always pick up where we left off.

At one point in time we did in fact live in the same town and her daughter was enrolled in my preschool class. One evening I had her family over for supper and gave them some belated birthday gifts. I had written in her hubby's card how thankful I was that they lived so close and how much it meant to me and if he ever moved her away I would be ticked off. After he read his card he said, "We have something to tell you. We are moving." Tears came and kept coming even after they said they were moving only 30 minutes away. We laugh about it now especially that we are 3 1/2 hours from each other but at the time I was devastated.

I do dream of a day when we will live on the same block and she will be my kids' doctor. I don't know if this will ever happen as it appears we are becoming farther and farther apart as far as miles go. One thing I know for sure, no matter how far the miles are she will always be my best friend. There are countless more laughs and tears to share. I'm hoping more laughs than tears.

I love you dear, dear, dear friend. I am so proud of you and what you are doing. You truly are a jar of clay!

2 Corinthians 4:7 "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."

Chuck E. Cheese

1 comment:

shannon fay said...

You KNOW how much I value your friendship and how much I love you and your precious family.

How many times have I felt overwhelmed and hopeless and it was your prayers and encouragement that helped push me through. I thank God for you!

I am not anything amazing by myself....but God has called all of us to bring Him glory as we work for the Kingdom. I am doing my best to be obedient...grace covered and in His strength. I know you are doing the same, and I am so grateful that He blessed us with this friendship so we might enjoy a kindred spirit as we walk this journey.

You're the best, Min. Don't doubt for a minute how amazing YOU are. In the words of Bob the Tomato: "God made you special, and He loves you very much."

So do I. =)