Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Onward Ho!

So I have been busy sewing away on Rosie....that is what I named my cheerful sewing machine. I made the brown and pink bag from the 1 hour bag tutorial on the Vintage Ric Rac. It was pretty easy to follow except that I sewed the top closed at 3 different times. I got friendly with my seam ripper. Ha! It turned out pretty cute, I think.

























































I found this great site online that has quite a few tote and handbag patterns online for free. I linked it over on the right. I picked the Pink October Basic Tote. I used the pattern to make my daughter a small tote to take to the library for her books. I would like to add some embellishments to it yet. From this bag I learned not to use cheap thread!!!!! Grrr....definitely use the better stuff!
















I had a friend ask what pattern I used for the last tote bag. It was Simplicity Pattern #5151. If I had not had my mother-in-law walking me through it, I would have had no clue. The directions in the pattern were way too hard for this novice to figure out. I like the online tutorials much better! The pictures help me out quite a bit.

And to end.....I found a very yummy recipe on Chrysanthemum blog. They are Whole-Wheat Cherry Chocolate Pecan Bars and they are sooooo good. I used dried cranberries instead of dried cherries.

Whole Wheat Cranberry Chocolate Pecan Bars
Butter an 9 x 13" baking dish and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 t. vanilla
2 eggs

1 c. oats
1 c. chopped dried cherries
1 c. chocolate chips
1 c. chopped pecans

Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl.
Cream the butter and sugar in a larger bowl, then add the vanilla and eggs.
Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix.
Add the oats, cherries, chocolate and pecans and mix till it looks like everything is evenly distributed.
Spread in the prepared baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.

This is definitely a keeper in my recipe box.

No comments: